Experienced. Helpful. Dedicated. Committed.

Compassion And Care When You Are Thinking Of Separating

Some marriages arrive at an impasse. Divorce might not feel like an option, but one or both spouses know that something needs to change. In situations like these, you may wish to consider a legal separation.

Having helped many couples in Connecticut file for separation, I know what the process is like. At the Law Office of Susan A. Moch, I use 35-plus years of experience to explore your options for putting your marriage on hold or bringing it to an end. When you work with me, you will not feel rushed or pressured to file for divorce; I will listen carefully to help you determine the best option.

Choosing A Separation Vs. Divorce

Many people have questions about the difference between a divorce and a “legal separation.” A legal separation is a court order describing the conditions under which two married people may live separately. A legal separation follows the same steps as a divorce and can take the same amount of time. Spouses divide their assets, decide parenting schedules, and pay alimony and/or child support, just as if they are getting divorced. The only difference between a legal separation and a divorce is that the parties to a legal separation cannot remarry without going back to court for an additional order converting their legal separation to a divorce.

A spouse can change a separation to a divorce by filing an affidavit with the court no sooner than 12 months after the separation was granted. A legal separation is sometimes selected when conditions exist that make it preferable for parties to remain legally married, although they are no longer responsible for each other’s liabilities and have divided their assets. These conditions include health of one of the parties, as some insurance carriers will allow a spouse to remain on the other spouse’s health insurance as if they are still married.

Learn Whether Separation Is Right For You

For compassionate and experienced representation in separation or divorce, reach out to me. I can sit down with you at my office in Westport in an initial consultation to discuss your situation. To schedule your consultation, call 203-424-0950 or send me an email.